Top scholarships to study in Netherlands
The Netherlands has emerged as one of the top study abroad destinations in recent years. The course variety, job opportunities and safety for international students attract many to the Netherlands. Here, we are introducing the top 10 scholarships for international students in the Netherlands.
1. Netherlands Fellowship Programme (NFP)
The Netherlands Fellowship Programme is offered by the Netherlands Government (Dutch ministry of Foreign Affairs) to promote capacity building within organisations in 51 countries by providing fellowships to bright students to study in the country. The 51 countries are divided into two groups where the countries in the first list are the priority countries and they receive more fellowships. The fellowship is also prioritised as:
- A major portion of the funds are given to the students from Sub Saharan Africa
- A major portion of the funds are given to female applicants
The Netherlands Fellowship Programme is offered to those who are pursuing the following courses in the academic institutions in the country:
- Short courses
- Master’s degree programmes
- PhD programme
Eligibility criteria to apply for Netherlands Fellowship Programme
- The candidate must be a citizen of, living or working in one of the 51 countries participating in the Netherlands Fellowship programme
- The candidate must not be employed in an organisation which has its own means of staff development. The examples of such organisations are large national or commercial organisations, multinational organisations, multilateral and bilateral donor organisation etc.
- Must hold a valid passport
- Must not hold more than one fellowship for the courses that run at the same time
- Must have a government statement of the country complying the employer meets all requirements
The fellowship covers the cost of living, tuition fee, visa, travel, thesis allowance and insurance.
How to apply for Netherlands Fellowship Programme?
The candidates who wish to apply for the scholarship must apply directly to the Dutch higher education institution of his/her choice. The application starts in September every year.
2. Leiden University Excellence Scholarships (LExS)
The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship is offered by the Leiden University to the outstanding candidates from non EU/EEA countries to study various Master’s Programme (MA, MSc and LLM) at the university.
Eligibility to apply for Leiden University Excellence Scholarships
- The candidate must be non EU/EEA country member and must be applying for one of the master’s courses mentioned above.
- The candidate must be having an outstanding academic record and must stand in the first 10% of the relevant programme she/he undertook.
- The candidates who already have Leiden University Master’s Degree are not eligible to apply.
How to apply for Leiden University Excellence Scholarships?
The candidates can apply for the scholarship along with the admission application in the university. The candidate must mention that he/she is interested in applying for the scholarship in the application form. The candidate should also submit a motivation letter in 500 words explaining the reasons for choosing the university and motivation for applying for the scholarship. The application procedure is:
a) Click here to start the online application form at Leiden University
b) Upload the supporting documents
c) Indicate that you are interested in applying for the scholarship and upload the letter of motivation
d) Submit the application form along with the application fee
If the candidate has already submitted the application form and then wants to apply for the scholarship, he/she can send the motivation letter to email@example.com mentioning LExS motivation letter in the subject line.
There are five types of awards:
Platinum: Tuition fee minus home fee and an allowance of â¬ 10,000 toward living costs
Gold: Tuition fee minus home fee
Silver: Covers 75% of the tuition fee
Bronze: Covers 50% of the tuition fee
Ivory: Covers 25% of the tuition fee
3. University of Maastricht High Potential Scholarships
Maastricht University offers UM High Potential Scholarships to the outstanding international students from non-EU countries to pursue Master’s programmes.
Eligibility to apply for UM High Potential Scholarships
- The applicant must be applying for any of the Master’s course at UM and must not exceed the age of 35 years at the start of the course.
- The candidates applying at the School of Business and Economics are not eligible for the scholarship.
- The applicant must not be citizen of any EU/EEA country.
- The applicant must have a valid passport.
- The applicant must have excellent academic records.
How to apply for UM High Potential Scholarships?
The candidate must apply for the scholarship along with admission application at the university. Only the candidates who get admission at the university will be considered for the scholarship.
This is a full term scholarship that is for 12 months for one year course. If the candidate is pursuing a two-year course, the award is extended for 24 months. The break-up of the scholarship:
Living expenses per month for 12 months: â¬765
Insurance for 12 months: â¬520 maximum
Visa costs: â¬300 maximum
Tuition fee: â¬14,000 maximum
4. Radboud Scholarship Programme for International Students
Radboud Scholarship is offered by the Radboud University to international students from outside EU to study Master’s programme.
Eligibility to apply for Radboud Scholarship
- The candidate must be a non-EU/EEA member
- The candidate must not have completed any course in the Netherlands before
- The candidate must be admitted to a full-time English taught Master’s programme
- The candidate must be able to comply with all the visa requirements
The criteria for the selection of Radboud Scholarship Programme are:
- The talent of the candidate. He/she must have outstanding academic records
- Quality of the recommendation letter: The candidate needs to submit two recommendation letters and their quality is an important factor
- The quality of motivation letter that states the motivation for applying for the scholarship
How to apply for Radboud Scholarship Programme?
There is no separate application form for the scholarship. The candidate has to apply along with the application for course admission. Click here to start the online application.
The application opens in October every year.
The scholarship is a partial tuition fee waiver. The fee will be waived to the level of an EEA student. For example, the scholarship holder’s tuition fee will be waived from â¬10,537 to â¬1906. The scholarship also covers the visa cost, living permit, insurance cost and liability by providing a maximum amount of â¬700.
5. Utrecht Excellence Scholarships for International Students
The Utrecht University offers Utrecht Excellence Scholarships to the outstanding international students from outside EU countries to pursue selected Bachelor’s and Master’s programme at the university. The courses for which the scholarship is available are:
- International Bachelor’s Programme
a) Economics and Business Economics
b) Liberal Arts & Sciences at University College Utrecht
- International Master’s programmes offered by the following Graduate Schools:
a) Graduate School of Geosciences
b) Graduate School of Humanities
c) Graduate School of Law, Economics and Governance
d) Graduate School of Life Sciences
e) Graduate School of Natural Sciences
f) Graduate School of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Eligibility criteria to apply for Utrecht Excellence Scholarships
- The candidate must not be an EU/EEA citizen
- The candidate must not have obtained a secondary school diploma from the Netherlands
- The candidate must have excellent academic records
- The candidate must have obtained admission for one of the courses mentioned above
- The candidate must be able to comply with the conditions to obtain the Dutch visa
How to apply for Utrecht Excellence Scholarships
There is no separate application form for Utrecht Excellence Scholarships. The candidate must apply to the institute for admission and the selection committee will shortlist the eligible candidates to consider for the scholarship.
The scholarship covers full tuition fee and an allowance of â¬10,000 towards living expenses. The scholarship is not necessarily a full scholarship. It can also be used as a source of additional funding if the candidate is awarded with other scholarships.
6. Eric Bleumink Scholarships
The University of Groningen offers Eric Bleumink Scholarships to the eligible candidates from developing countries to study one or two year master’s programme or four-year PhD programme.
Eligibility to apply for Eric Bleumink Scholarships
- The candidate must be a citizen of a developing country which is participating in the scholarship programme
- The candidate must have excellent academic records
- The candidate must have obtained admission in the university for one of the above mentioned courses
Selection criteria for Eric Bleumink Scholarships
- The academic record of the candidate mainly based on the letter of recommendation given by the professors
- Contribution of the candidate’s education to the home country
How to apply for Eric Bleumink Scholarships
Click here to know how to apply for the scholarship. In order to apply for the scholarship, the candidate needs to get a conditional offer letter from the university for one of the courses mentioned above. The application deadline is 15th January.
The scholarship covers tuition fee, costs of international travel, subsistence, books, and health insurance.
7. TU Delft Excellence Scholarships for International Students
The TU Delft University of Technology offers TU Delft Excellence Scholarships for international students to study MSc programme at the university.
Eligibility to apply for TU Delft Excellence Scholarships
- The candidate must have obtained high marks for his/her bachelor’s from an internationally renowned university
- The candidate must have obtained admission at TU Delft University of Technology for an MSc programme
How to apply for TU Delft Excellence Scholarships?
There is no separate application form for TU Delft Excellence Scholarships. The students can apply for the scholarship along with admission application. Click here to know more.
TU Delft Excellence Scholarship is a full scholarship that covers the tuition fee and living expenses. The scholarship is given to 16 eligible candidates every year.
8. Amsterdam Merit Scholarships
The University of Amsterdam offers Amsterdam Merit Scholarships to international students to do Master’s programme. The scholarship is offered for the following courses:
- Academic Medical Centre (AMC)
- Amsterdam Law School (ALS)
- Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB)
- Faculty of Science (FNWI)
- Graduate School of Child Development and Education
- Graduate School of Humanities
- Graduate School of Social Sciences (GSSS)
Eligibility to apply for Amsterdam Merit Scholarships
- The candidate must not be a citizen of a European Union country
- The candidate must have admitted to a full time course in one of the above given departments
- The candidate must be able to comply with the regulations for Dutch Visa
How to apply for Amsterdam Merit Scholarships
The interested candidates may directly contact the respective department for the application information for the scholarship. Click here for more information.
The scholarship amount varies from â¬2,000 to â¬24,000 depending upon the faculty.
9. University of Twente Scholarships
The University of Twente offers scholarships to both international students and students from EU who want to pursue Master’s programme at the university.
How to apply for University of Twente Scholarships
Click here to apply for UTS. In order to apply for the scholarship, the candidate needs a provisional offer letter from the university stating that he/she got admission for one of the master’s programme. The candidate must submit a motivation letter explaining:
- The course studied in the past
- Motivation for choosing the University of Twente
- The goal that the candidate wants to achieve through the study at the university
- How the candidate plans to achieve the goal
The value of the scholarship is between â¬ 6,000 and â¬ 25,000 for one year.
10. VU University Amsterdam Fellowship Programme
The VU University Amsterdam is providing VU University Fellowship Programme to international students to study select Master’s programmes at the university.
Eligibility to apply for VU University Amsterdam Fellowship Programme
- The candidate must have got admission in one of the pre-selected courses at the university
- The candidate must not have a Dutch nationality
- The candidate must not have graduated from a Dutch Higher Education Programme
How to apply for VU University Amsterdam Fellowship Programme
The candidates must first apply for a Master’s course at the university. Click here to know how to apply online. Once the application is submitted successfully, the candidate must send an email to the admission office stating that he/she is interested in applying for the scholarship.
- â¬5,000 for student who pay EEA fees
- â¬15000 for students who pay international fee