Documents required for Malaysian student visa: As the global higher education landscape expands, an increasing number of international students are beginning to put their bets on destinations like Malaysia. There are many reasons why one may want to study in Malaysia: low cost of education in Malaysia, easy study visa options, or if you are a westerner, it may very well be the case that you want to observe the world through Asian lenses. Whatever be the reason, if you too have locked in Malaysia as your study-abroad destination, the next step is to apply for a student visa. And when applying for the visa, one helpful tip is to keep a list of documents required for Malaysian student visa. It will help you avoid delays and other troubles.


Study Pass: Route to studying in Malaysia

All international students need a Student Pass to study in Malaysia at all levels of education. Interestingly, the Student Pass acts as a student visa in Malaysia. So, when we discuss documents required for Malaysian student visa, it basically means documents required for the Student Pass.


Where to apply: You must apply for the pass at the Department of Immigration Malaysia.


Study Pass Application Categories

Depending on the course and type of school you are applying to, you have the following types of application categories:

  1. Foreigner in Government Schools;

  2. Foreigner in Private Schools;

  3. Foreigner in public higher education institutions;

  4. Foreigner in private higher education institutions;

  5. Foreigner in language centers;

  6. Foreigner in training centers under Department of Skill Development;

  7. Holder of Dependant Pass (Expatriate)

While the list of documents required for Malaysian Student Visa (Student Pass) more or less remains the same across all application categories, the process of applying for the pass may vary.


How to apply for different Student Pass Application categories:


1. Foreigner in Government/Private Schools:

  • You have to apply at State Immigration Office via schools

  • If you belong to the People Republic of China (PRC), you institution must send your application directly to the Student Pass Unit of the Department of Immigration Headquarters at Putrajaya (for all new applications). For extension of your Student Pass, you can however approach the respective State Immigration Department.

2. Foreigner in public higher education institutions

  • Your university can apply directly at State Immigration Office

  • Students from India, Bangladesh or Pakistan have to apply directly at Department of Immigration Headquarters in Putrajaya. If you already have the Malaysian student visa but want to extend it, you can apply at State Immigration Office

3. Foreigner in private higher education institutions / training centers

  • Education Malaysia Global Service (EMGS) issues Student Pass for new applications. You need to apply via the universities/colleges/training centers.

  • For extensions of your Student Pass, you can apply at State Immigration Office.

4. Foreigner in language centers

  • Application for new Student Pass can be made at Department of Immigration Headquarters in Putrajaya via languages centers.

  • For extensions, you must approach State Immigration Office.

 5. Holder of Dependant Pass (Expatriate)

  • You have the option of applying at an Expatriate Service Division, Immigration Headquarters in Putrajaya, or at a relevant State Immigration Office.

  • Your passport will bear the stamp of endorsement to study in Malaysia.

  • Holders of Dependant Pass below 18 years are exempted from having to apply for the students Pass.

  • Spouse of Dependent Pass holders are allowed to pursue study in Malaysia, but first they must convert their Dependent Pass to Student Pass.

Documents required for Malaysian student visa (Student Pass)


A valid Passport: If you are applying online through Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS), you have to upload scanned pages of the passport containing your bio-data in PDF format.

When uploading this piece of document required for Malaysian student visa (Student Pass), also make sure that the image is clear and all details are visible.


Academic Transcripts and Certificates: Academic Transcripts and Certificates are to be scanned and uploaded as ONE single PDF file.


Offer Letter: To be eligible for the Malaysian student visa, you must be offered a place at a school/higher education institution/language centre/ training center in Malaysia. Consequently, the offer letter is among the most important documents required for Malaysian Student Visa. When applying online, make sure that the PDF file is not larger than 550KB, which is the maximum size allowed. 


Pre-arrival Medical Report: Before entering Malaysia, you are required to attend a mandatory Pre-arrival Medical checkup at a registered medical clinic. If however, you have attended a non-registered clinic, you must upload the report of the Medical Examiner’s Report as part of the list of documents required for Malaysian student visa.


Support letter: Issued by the Ministry of Education / Department of Skill Development.


Form Immigration 14: Two sets

Photos: Two sets of colored photos (3.5 cm x 3.5 cm);


Personal Bond form (stamped)

Additionally, students who wish to transfer university/college have to obtain a release letter from their previous university/college, attendance report, academic performance report and support letter from Ministry of Education.


Benefits of student pass


1. Dependant Pass: The Student Pass allows Masters and PhD students to bring their dependents to Malaysia during the course of their study.

Each dependent is issued a Dependent Pass that is valid for a period of up to 12 months, provided the members have individual or separate passports.

Who is included in the dependant list: Spouse, children, mother and father only.


2. Multiple Entry Visa (MEV): As holders of Student and Dependent Passes, you automatically become eligible for the Malaysian Multiple Entry Visa (MEV), which allows you to make unrestricted travel between your home country and Malaysia.

3. Visa on Arrival for Students (VOAS): If you have a Malaysian student Visa Approval Letter (VAL) issued by the Department of Immigration Malaysia, you can avail VOAS facility.


Apply only for Visa with Reference

International students pursuing higher studies in Malaysia must apply for the Visa with Reference, meant for students, and not Visa WITHOUT Reference. Malaysian Student Visawithout reference is only for the purpose of social visit.


Documents required for Malaysian student Visa with Reference

  • Original approval letter from the Immigration Department of Malaysia/other authority agencies

  • Original passport

  • Two photocopies of the your passport

  • Two photocopies of Malaysian Student Visa application form (Form IMM.47)

  • Two passport size photographs

  • Two photocopies of your air ticket along with the original

  • Receipt of payment of Malaysian Student Visa fee

Stay tuned to for more news and updates on Malaysia

Visa and Departure

Applications Open Now

Bennett University Admissions 2020
Bennett University Admissions...
Masters' Union School of Business
Masters' Union School of Busi...
Manipal ICAS Admissions 2020
Manipal ICAS Admissions 2020
Bennett University 30 May B.Tech Last date
Bennett University 30 May B.T...
Chitkara University Admissions 2020
Chitkara University Admission...
UPES B.Tech - 30 JUNE UPESEAT Last date
View All Application Forms

Malaysia Updates and Articles

Questions related to Malaysia

Showing 4 out of 4 Questions

Hi, Im an Indian citizen planning to study BMed & MD at Monash University (Jeffrey Cheah School of Medicine and Health Science) Malaysia Branch, the degree offered is from Monash University Australia and the course offered at the Malaysian campus is accredited by MCI. Do I still need to sit FMGE?

Manidipa Kundu Student Expert 21st Apr, 2020


according to fmge latest notifications, candidates who have completed their ug as well as  pg medicine course from the below mention country need not required  to write the fmge exam,



New Zealand

United Kingdom

United States of America

such candidate can directly register with MCI or SMC for the certificate to practice in india.


IS GMAT must to get into MBA in Malaysia

Manidipa Kundu Student Expert 7th Mar, 2020


gmat stands for graduate management aptitude test, and it score is accepted in many abroad and overseas countries mba colleges for admission in different management related program , however there is many colleges in malayasia which admission is based on your academic score, where gmat is not necessary, however I suggest you to check the placement , infrastructure information before take admission in any college.


Hello, I am an Indian citizen currently in my 10th semester of MBBS in Malaysia. I am expected to finish in August 2020, would you recommend for me to sit for the December exam? And if yes, when does the registration start? Is there any official website that I can have a look at. Thanks.

Animesh Vats Student Expert 8th Mar, 2020


Well you can give the December exam if you are well prepared. The registration will begin in the month of October for the December exam. And then exam will be in December. The website link is attached below. You can visit the website once to know more.

I hope my answer helps.

All the best.


My kid is doing A levels in Malaysia with Biology Chemistry & Maths only. No Physics. Is she eligible to apply for NEET 2020. It is compulsory to attempt NEET exam to get eligibility cert. to do MBBS from abroad. Is physics needed... as UK accepts Maths OR Physics for MBBS admission.

Priyaanka Sarkar Student Expert 30th Oct, 2019

Dear Sandeep, you haven't mentioned your kid's Nationality. If your kid has Indian Citizenship but is in Malaysia only to study but plans on appearing for NEET as an Indian National, then yes NEET is mandatory either to study in India or abroad. For beibg eligible for NEET, he/she should have completed 10+2 or equivalent with Biology, Chemistry and Physics as his/her core subjects. Physics is a mandatory exam for NEET. There cannot be any exception to that whether the country your kid chooses to study needs Physics or Mathematics. Physics, Chemistry and Biology are the mandatory subjects to appear for NEET. This rule applies to NRIs, OCI, and PIOs who want to study MBBS in India. But if your kid is a NRI/OCI/PIO then he/she doesn't need NEET to study in another country.

Never miss exam and college updates Login
The question have been saved in answer later, you can access it from your profile anytime. Access now

Download the Careers360 App on your Android phone

Regular exam updates, QnA, Predictors, College Applications & E-books now on your Mobile

Careers360 App
150M+ Students
24,000+ Colleges
500+ Exams
1500+ E-books