Top reasons to study in Singapore- With international student mobility increasing by the day, students are taking the off-beat track to explore fresh destinations that promise not just an education but a new and wholesome experience. The city-state of Singapore offers just that. Known for its diverse population and strict corporate culture, the island country sizzles in hyper activity and enjoys its reputation as the financial centre of Southeast Asia.
A look at the international student mobility data reflects Singapore’s growing emergence as a student hub. According to UNESCO, nearly 50,000 students flock to Singapore annually- one of the highest among the Asian countries.
With the cost of education going upwards, more and more students, especially from Asia and Europe, are flying to the island nation. One of the most important factors behind this is the plethora of grants offered to international students by the country’s Ministry of Education. In fact, the ministry gives tuition grants of a total of about $210 million to international students annually.
While grants are just a part of the scheme, Singapore offers too many reasons to international students to explore its education system.
Here are some of the top reasons to study in Singapore:
1. Popular student city: Ranked among the top five student cities in Asia, Singapore is all that an international student demands on the platter. A rapidly developing economy, Singapore offers a slew of new age institutions which includes its own universities in addition to subsidiaries of international universities. That is just a part of the story. Singapore offers an eclectic mix of experiences which makes it a magnate for international students. Maybe you want to hike along the Southern Ridges or experience the never ending nightlife, Singapore provides the perfect platform for students to fulfill their academic as well as adventurous side.
2. Exchange students: Singapore is the perfect place to experience global education. Not just inside the classrooms, its eclectic bunch of students assures you of an international education experience. Given its perfect setting as an international student city, the country attracts a lot of students through exchange programmes. Most of the top universities attract a lot of exchange students from Europe. An interesting thing about the education scenario of Singapore is that it houses many international campuses of popular universities across the world like Curtin University of Australia, University of Nevada of US or Shanghai Jiaotong University of China. This gives a lot of opportunity to students to understand and explore foreign cultures within Singapore itself.
3. Quality institutions: While Singapore is definitely one of the leading study destinations of Asia, it has also made its mark in the international arena with a slew of high ranked universities. Its two most popular universities- National University of Singapore (NUS) and Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU) - rank among the top 50 universities in the World. What puts Singaporean universities ahead of many institutes is their collaboration with many associations and universities across the world, thus making them truly international universities.
Not just that, Singapore is a known hub for management studies. This is mainly pushed by the fact that it is a well- known financial centre and all major companies of the world have created their base in Singapore. Hence, there is a demand for management students who are well versed with the Singaporean work environment as well.
4. Experience the Singaporean campus life: Singapore is famous not just for its technology driven education but also for the exciting campus life. It is not just about knowledge inside the classroom that matters, it is learning in an environment that promises diversified schools of thought and encourages an active social life. So, whether you are interested in sports or drama, the Singapore campus life will accommodate all your hobbies. If you are interested in astronomy then Curtin Singapore has a club for astronomy. Similarly for bikers, Cause Curtin has a special club for motorcycle riders.
5. Funds galore: While a degree from a university in Singapore can be quite expensive, the country provides ample opportunities in terms of funds for students. According to an HSBC report, Singapore is the second most expensive country for international students with the annual cost for student going up to $39,229. However, as per the Ministry of Education, Singapore, a majority of international students receive some kind of grant. Here are few of the ways through which a student can manage funds in Singapore:
Scholarships: Given the high cost of education, many universities in Singapore offer a wide range of scholarships to international students.While NUS has its popular ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship (AUS) for ASEAN nationals, Nanyang Business School offers unlimited possibilities for students through a series of scholarships like APEC, LIEN, ASEAN, QS, among others.
Tuition Grant: In what is one of the most unique features of education in Singapore, the Tuition Grant Scheme (TGS) is an initiative by the country’s Ministry of Education to offer subsidies to students enrolled in full-time diploma or undergraduate courses in a few listed universities of the country. What more? In return for the grant, students are required to sign a bond under which they have to stay back and work in the country for at least 3 years. For students who plan to stay back in Singapore after their studies, if that isn’t a bonus, what is it?
6. Corporate reputation: On a survey by QS, Singapore emerged as a winner in terms of employer activity compared to another Asian giant- Hong Kong. Universities of Singapore enjoy a good reputation among employers globally. The credit definitely goes to the education structure and teaching methods of Singaporean universities. The universities have a practical and experiment based approach to teaching. In the QS World Universities ranking 2014-15, the National University of Singapore comes 10th in the world in the Employer Reputation category while the Nanyang Technological University stands 35th, reflecting the good reputation these universities enjoy among employers. So, if you want to make a mark in the job sector, Singapore will definitely add weight to your CV.
7. Comfortable living: One of the areas where Singapore scores high is the standard of living. This is one of the reasons why expats from all over the world move to Singapore. In fact, Singapore is regarded as the easiest city to adjust in Asia, specifically for international students. Being home to a large number of foreigners, the well-known financial centre of Asia also offers a diverse background to international students.
Interestingly, Singapore has already made its name as the garden city of Asia.The initiative started in 1963 involves planting 2,000 trees every year around the city. This also ensures that Singapore offers a green and comfortable living environment to international students.
Top Universities in Singapore 2019 - The ranking of top Universities in Singapore 2019 has been r...
Study in Singapore - Candidates willing to study in Singapore can check here all about top colleg...
Singapore Admission and visa basics - Know all about Singapore Admission and visa basics guidelines.
Study in Singapore- A hub for Ivy League universities. Singapore has become an attractive destina...
Quality education at a competitive price - Many leading international universities have set up th...
As Neurosurgeons are also doctors, so there is no any specific scheduled time for a doctor. Yes, there is maximum 8 hour schedule timing for every profession and even it applies for doctors. But being doctor is not just a profession but also an responsibility of service of saving life, So whenever duty calls, they need to attend the patient immediately.
Hope you get my point.
Thank you. GOOD LUCK!!
USA is much more better country among these for neurosurgeons
USA is the best among these in all term.
Yes you are eligible to get student pass only if you have admission notice from a university in Singapore. Working pass is not a big issue while apply to study there as most of the students who go there to study wishes to have one as it helps them to work and earn extra money because student pass only permits you to work only 16 hours in a week.
NIE singapore (NTU)
Nanyang Technological University (NTU)
National University of Singapore (NUS)
These are the top Universities which provides English Literature Course.
Hope it helps
Your brochure has been successfully mailed to your registered email id .
The Question containing Inaapropriate or Abusive Words
Question lacks the basic details making it difficult to answer
Topic Tagged to the Question are not relevant to Question
Question drives traffic to external sites for promotional or commercial purposes
The Question is not relevant to User
Regular exam updates, QnA, Predictors, College Applications & E-books now on your Mobile