Updated on Mar 24, 2017 - 2:23 p.m. IST by Akshay Bansal #United States of America
Applications Open Now
Study Abroad Opportunities
Study Abroad Opportunities with IELTS

Visa Guidelines:
F-1 Visa

This is the most common type of student visa. If you wish to engage in academic studies in the United States at an approved school, such as an accredited US college or university, private secondary school, or approved English language programme, then you need an F-1 visa. You will also need an F-1 visa if your course of study is more than 18 hours a week.

M-1 Visa
If you plan to engage in non-academic or vocational study or training at a US institution, then you need an M-1 visa.

Application Items

To apply for an F or M visa, you must submit the following:

  • A Non-immigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) Form.

  • A passport valid for travel to the United States with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). If more than one person is included in your passport, each person desiring a visa must submit an application.

  • A receipt showing payment of your US$160 non-refundable, non-immigrant visa application processing fee, paid in local currency.

  • A Form I-901 SEVIS fee receipt indicating the SEVIS fee. The SEVIS website has more details.

After that one has to book an appointment with the help of Embassy website or the call centre. You will need three pieces of information in order to schedule your appointment:

  • Your passport number

  • The date you paid your fee

  • The ten (10) digit barcode number from your DS-160 confirmation page

Visit the US embassy or consulate on the date and time of your visa interview. You must bring a printed copy of your appointment letter, your DS-160 confirmation page, one photograph taken within the last six months, your current and all old passports, and the original visa fee payment receipt. Applications without all of these items will not be accepted.

Applications Open Now
Study Abroad Opportunities
Pursue education in an intercultural global environment | Opportunities for Studying in Abroad
Study Abroad Opportunities with IELTS
Pursue education in an intercultural global environment | Opportunities for Studying in Abroad
Visa and Departure

Applications Open Now

Study Abroad Opportunities
Study Abroad Opportunities
Study Abroad Opportunities with IELTS
Study Abroad Opportunities wi...
PTE- Pearson Test of English
PTE- Pearson Test of English
View All Application Forms

More like United States of America

Questions related to United States of America

Showing 8 out of 8 Questions
1 View

i have completed bcom n passed 2 levels of Chartered Accountancy ..am i eligible for masters?

Priyaanka Sarkar Student Expert 1st Jan, 2020

Shachi, you are eligible for pursuing Master's based on your B.Com (//B.Com) qualification. You are a Chartered Accountant only after you successfully complete your CA Finals. Until then you will be a Candidate who is pursuing your CA. But based on your B.Com (//B.Com) qualification, you can study your PG.


Can anyone please say the Total, Brief, Detailed steps for an Indian to become a Doctor in United States after completing MBBS in India?

Kanupriya Gupta 28th Dec, 2019

Dear Aspirant,

Let us see how you become a doctor in the US after completing your MBBS from India. So, supposedly, you have competed MBBS in India. Now you have two options to complete residency in the US.

  • Get Visa to come to US to complete USMLE 3, which is offered only in USA.
  • Second option is to apply for Masters degree in USA, get student F1 visa stamping.

USMLE is United States Medical Licensing Examination. Step 3 assesses if you know the application of the medical knowledge without supervision. It is the final exam in the U.S. to obtain a license. Only after completing Step 3 will you be able to obtain the license.

Take the USMLE exams. Once you finish MBBS, try to do a month or two of elective training in one of the American universities in your intern year. Once you are there, reach out to people and try to find a research job in the department you are interested in for the next year. Once you are in research, try to publish a few good first authored papers, and as many co-authored papers as possible and attend conferences.

You will need high USMLE scores, US research experience, publications and conference presentations to get into a residency program. And above all, a very supportive and well connected mentor in the US.

Very few doctors take the second route. While studying Masters, they prepare for USMLE 3 and once they have completed USMLE Step 3, just like any other professionals, they apply for jobs in the hospitals for Residency.

Doctors are paid during Residency (minimum 3 years). After completing Residency, you have to take state board license to practice medicine in that particular state. Some of them get so tied up in their Masters programme that they are unable to focus on USMLE.

Hope this helps. All the best!


i have completed my bachelors in biochemistry and that is a 3 year bachelor degree can iget admission in masters in us after scoring decently in gre anf if not i would like to go for phd in biochemistry after completing my masters in india ,what will guaranteee my admission in phd in us ?

Manidipa Kundu Student Expert 22nd Dec, 2019


see you can definitely go for ms in usa after completing your graduation course. see different university has different criteria for admission, GRE/ toefel/ielts is must beside your academic scores. some times a good Letter of recommendation is also helpful for being shortlisted. I would like to tell you one thing score fees is really high in usa universities compare to indian universities, make sure there is placement or after degree course completed work opportunities is available or not.

hope it would help.


hi i got gre317and ielts score 8 and gp in btech 5.9 .Can i get admission Ms in US

Himanshu 15th Dec, 2019

Dear Aspirant,

As you have scored good in GRE and your IELTS score is also decent but only this won't help you to take admission in MS in United States. The universities look for research experiences, Letter of recommendation, relevant certificates and students participation in extra curricular activities. In terms of CGPA which the student has to convert into GPA and roughly it should be near 7.5 CGPA  which will confirm your admission in MS after securing such marks in GRE and IELTS. Still you can get admission if you have done some extra-ordinary work in Research area and publishes good amount of research papers.

Hope this information is helpful.
Have a great day!


Hello everyone I want to do PhD in Mathematics from USA . Should i give GRE General test or GRE Subject test ? Is IELTS acceptable ? Thank you

Harsheet Kaur 27th Nov, 2019
In order to pursue pH.D from USA in any field,you will have to take GRE(Graduate Record Examination) as it is usually required to take Ph.D programs in the USA,and then you have to take either TOEFL or IELTS, to help access your English language skills.
Never miss exam and college updates Login
The question have been saved in answer later, you can access it from your profile anytime. Access now

Download the Careers360 App on your Android phone

Regular exam updates, QnA, Predictors, College Applications & E-books now on your Mobile

Careers360 App
150M+ Students
24,000+ Colleges
500+ Exams
1500+ E-books