Work after study in Malaysia
Updated on Sep 16, 2016 - 5:02 p.m. IST by Manashjyoti #Malaysia
Applications Open Now
Study Abroad Opportunities with IELTS

Post-study work in Malaysia: Post-study work is a big deal for most international students today, as they look to self-finance their studies or at times even survive the high expenses of studying abroad. While Malaysia is not anywhere near to being the most expensive study-abroad destination, yet being a foreign land it more often than not would cost more to study in Malaysia than studying in your native country. So, post-study work in Malaysia is a tempting option for many. But the question that arises is whether international students are allowed to work after study in Malaysia, and if they are, to what degree. Here we try to find the answers.

Post-study work in Malaysia is scarce, but there is hope

The not-so-rosy fact about post-study work in Malaysia is that job opportunities in the country are limited compared to the USA or New Zealand. There are government policies in place that mandate Malaysian citizens be given first preference for job vacancies. This is in addition to restrictions on what sector the international student can work in. All these can make your life a little difficult, but you must not lose hope as certain jobs and sectors are open for you, provided you have an employment pass.

What is Employment pass?

A type of work permit, the employment pass authorizes you to take up contractual employment with an organization in Malaysia, provided you have the requisite knowledge. A student can choose an Employment Pass type from any of the following three categories:

Employment Pass (Category I): It is open for applicants with a monthly salary of minimum RM 5,000. Depending on the employment contract and upon discretion of the Expatriate Committee (EC), the pass may be valid for up to five years.

Employment Pass (Category II): For individuals whose monthly earning falls between RM 2,500 and RM 5,000, with employment contract of 2 years and below.

Employment Pass (Category III): Caters to individuals with a basic salary of RM2, 500 to RM4, 999 and contract period not exceeding 12 months.

How to apply for the Employment Pass to work after study in Malaysia

  • Applicants cannot apply directly for their immigrant passes. Instead, the process should be initiated by the company with whom the applicants have entered into a contractual agreement.

  • The company hiring the applicant needs to be registered with Expatriate Service Division(ESD)

The company can apply for the Employment Pass on behalf of you at the Visa, Pass and Permit Division, Immigration Department of Malaysia (Headquarters) or at any State Immigration Office. It usually takes five working days to process the application after submission of all required documents.

Supporting documents that must be attached with the application include:

  • Latest updated comprehensive Resume

  • Copy of passports

  • Recent passport photo (Photo sized 3.5 x 5.0 cm, shoulder level and above, excess space between the chin with the lower end of sized photographs at least 1 cm, excess space between the head with the upper end of sized photograph

  • Copy of Employment Contract (duly stamped by Inland Revenue Board and signed)

  • Job Description

  • Marriage Certificate

Educational requirements:

  • Degree with at least 3 years’ experience in the relevant field; and/or

  • Diploma with at least 5 years’ experience in the relevant field; and/or

  • Technical Certificate or equivalent, with at least 7 years’ experience in the relevant field

Other key aspects of work after study in Malaysia include:

  1. The applicant, in most cases, is allowed to work in the country for a maximum of 10 years, with the work permit extended on a yearly basis

  2. The applicant must belong to one of the approved source countries to be eligible to pursue post-study work in Malaysia

  3. Only select MNCs, GLCs and strong Malaysian companies of repute are eligible to employ international students.

  4. You are allowed to undertake post-study work in Malaysia only for the company you have mentioned in the Employment Pass. If you want to change the company, you have to resubmit the application.

  5. In addition, international students are allowed to work in selected sectors:

  • Manufacturing

  • Construction

  • Plantation

  • Agriculture

  • Services

Also, these sectors are not open to students from every country, as there are added restrictions like male citizens from Indonesia are not allowed to work in the manufacturing sector, even though their women folk are. So, it is in the best interest of the student looking for work after study in Malaysia to check out the country-wise exceptions to stay out of trouble with immigration authorities.

Stay tuned to for more stories on Malaysia

Work Opportunities

Applications Open Now

Study Abroad Opportunities with IELTS
Study Abroad Opportunities wi...
Arden University, Berlin
Arden University, Berlin
PTE- Pearson Test of English
PTE- Pearson Test of English
View All Application Forms

More like Malaysia

Questions related to Malaysia

Showing 1 out of 1 Questions

My kid is doing A levels in Malaysia with Biology Chemistry & Maths only. No Physics. Is she eligible to apply for NEET 2020. It is compulsory to attempt NEET exam to get eligibility cert. to do MBBS from abroad. Is physics needed... as UK accepts Maths OR Physics for MBBS admission.

Priyaanka Sarkar Student Expert 30th Oct, 2019

Dear Sandeep, you haven't mentioned your kid's Nationality. If your kid has Indian Citizenship but is in Malaysia only to study but plans on appearing for NEET as an Indian National, then yes NEET is mandatory either to study in India or abroad. For beibg eligible for NEET, he/she should have completed 10+2 or equivalent with Biology, Chemistry and Physics as his/her core subjects. Physics is a mandatory exam for NEET. There cannot be any exception to that whether the country your kid chooses to study needs Physics or Mathematics. Physics, Chemistry and Biology are the mandatory subjects to appear for NEET. This rule applies to NRIs, OCI, and PIOs who want to study MBBS in India. But if your kid is a NRI/OCI/PIO then he/she doesn't need NEET to study in another country.

Never miss exam and college updates Login
The question have been saved in answer later, you can access it from your profile anytime. Access now

Download the Careers360 App on your Android phone

Regular exam updates, QnA, Predictors, College Applications & E-books now on your Mobile

Careers360 App
150M+ Students
24,000+ Colleges
500+ Exams
1500+ E-books