Work after study in Canada
Shivani Bhatt, 17 Sep 2018, #Canada
Applications Open Now
Study Abroad in Canada
Study Abroad Opportunities

Work after study in Canada: An important aspect of deciding a study abroad destination is the work opportunities available after the course is completed. Higher education coupled with the living expenses is quite expensive and job opportunities after the course becomes an important deciding factor in choosing the country to study abroad. The availability of jobs after the completion of the course is also an important factor in choosing particular specializations by the candidate.

The country’s policy towards offering work opportunities to its international students is often one of the most important reasons for a student to chose it to pursue a higher education. Conducive work policies benefit the student as it is not a financially viable to return to the home country after earning an expensive educational qualification. Opportunities of work after study in Canada is one of the important reasons to choose for higher studies. Canadian work policies for international students after they complete their courses are friendly as they offer the students opportunities once they complete their courses. This article discusses the work opportunities available to international students interested to pursue higher education in Canadian universities.

Canada is one of the most popular study abroad destination possessing some of the top universities in the world. Along with this, the top universities in Canada is also among the top destinations for Natural Sciences, Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences and Management and Life Sciences and Medicine. Canada has earned a lot of goodwill amongst international students for its student-friendly post-study work visa regulations.

Applications Open Now
Study Abroad in Canada
Choose your own University & College | Pursue Education In Canada
Study Abroad Opportunities
Pursue education in an intercultural global environment | Opportunities for Studying in Abroad

With the ease of access to various opportunities for work after study in Canada, it's no wonder why the country is an increasingly popular destination for international students.


Gateway to Jobs in Canada: A Post-Graduate Work Permit

The Post Graduate Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows international students who have completed an educational degree from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to be able to work after study in Canada. International students who gain skilled Canadian work experience may also qualify to apply for Permanent Residence (PR) through Canadian experience class.

The PGWPP is beneficial to candidates who want more time to look for suitable employment and is also the first step to take for candidates who want to ultimately acquire a Canadian citizenship. This is because, if a candidate is sufficiently skilled and has the requisite work experience, he or she can become a citizen of Canada under the Express Entry scheme.


Post-Graduate Work Permit Duration

The PGWPP allows the candidate to work for a period equal to the duration of the program of study the candidate has pursued in Canada. The maximum duration of work permit under the PGWPP is three years. This means that the work permit is not offered for a period longer than the length program of study completed by a candidate. The minimum duration of work after study in Canada offered under the PGWPP is eight months. Candidates who are pursuing courses in Canada which are less than 8 months in duration are not eligible. Also, whether a candidate is pursuing a three-year course or a four-year course, the work permit offered under the PGWPP will be three years only.


Work after Study in Canada - Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible to get a permit to work after study in Canada, the candidate has to fulfill certain preconditions. The main criteria which makes a candidate eligible for the work permit is a minimum study duration of eight months in a Canadian designated learning institution. Additionally, the candidate must also fulfil the following criteria:


The candidate must:

  • be at least 18 years of age when applying

  • have pusued a full-time program of study in Canada (for at least eight months)

  • must have graduated from a Public post-secondary school such as a trade/technical school, university or college. The private secondary or post-secondary school must offers programs of duration 900 hours or longer for the professional diploma or should be a private Canadian institution which can legally award degrees

  • apply for the PGWP within 90 days of completion of the educational program

  • have a valid study permit while applying for the PGWP

The PGWP is not offered to candidates who have studied in Canada for more than eight months but have done so intermittently. Candidates who have taken semester offs during their course are also not eligible work after study in Canada. Additionally, candidates who already possess a work permit associated with any other program of study are also ineligible.


Duration of Post Graduate Work Permit in Canada

Duration of Study in Canada

Duration of the work permit

Less than eight months

No work permit will be issued

Less than two years but more than eight months

The work permit will be issued for a duration not exceeding the total length of study

Two years or more

The work permit will be issued for a maximum of three years in duration

Application for Post Graduate Work Permit in Canada

Applications for the PGWPP can be made both online and offline. Applications are to be made with a non refundable application fee of CA$ 255 for the PGWPP. The mode of application also determines the processing time of the permit to work after study in Canada. The online application processing time is approximately 56 days while the offline or paper-based applications take as many as 104 days to be processed.


Transition from Graduation to Employment

Off-campus work permit: Candidates are not required to surrender the off-campus permit in order to apply for the Post Graduate Work Permit Program and can take up full-time or part-time employment provided that the candidate holds a valid Canadian student visa.

Without an off-campus work permit: If candidates plan to explore opportunities to work after study in Canada and aspire to work off-campus but don’t have a work permit, the candidate is required to apply for the same before the expiration of his or her student visa. Once the candidate obtains the PGWP, he or she may take up any kind of employment in Canada.


Points to note:

  • To obtain a three-year PGWP, the candidate is required to pursue a minimum of two-year course. For course duration less than two years, candidates will be offered a PGWP of the duration of the course.

  • If the candidate has completed a one-year degree or diploma from an accredited institution within two years of completing another course, s/he may be eligible for three-year work permit.

  • In case a candidate qualifies all other criteria except full-time study in the final session of the course, s/he may be eligible for the PGWP.

Candidates are ineligible for PGWP if they have:

  • received funding from Global Affairs Canada (GAC)

  • participated in the Government of Canada Awards Program funded by GAC

  • obtained the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada-Chile

  • participated in the Canada-China Scholars’ Exchange Program

  • participated in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program

  • participated in and completed a distance-learning program, either abroad or in Canada

  • completed a program of study granted by a non-Canadian institution located in Canada, regardless of their length of stay in Canada

Also read,

Study abroad destinations: Canada Vs Australia

Cost of living in Canada

Top Universities for Engineering in Canada


Work Opportunities

Applications Open Now

Study Abroad in Canada
Study Abroad in Canada
Study Abroad Opportunities
Study Abroad Opportunities
GMAT Guide Book
GMAT Guide Book
View All Application Forms

More like Canada

Questions related to Canada

Showing 33 out of 33 Questions

I did my 10th from CBSE in March 2018 and did 11th from Canada. I had to return to India along with my family couple of months back. My question is - can I do 12th from Haryana Open School in April 2020 and appear in Engineering Entrance exams like JEE and others?.

Manidipa Kundu Student Expert 12th Nov, 2019


yes you can join nios or any state open school for studying class 10+2. but for eligible to any state quota there is different criteria for different state for domicile. however after clearing  the 10+2 exam from open school you are eligible to apply all engineering entrance test.


I am currently in 12th class.i have interest in computer science and want to be a data scientist, and I have two years to live in india later ill move out to canada. I want suggestions on what should I do in these 2years also, I want to get a good job when I move out.plz give me suggestions.

Manidipa Kundu Student Expert 10th Nov, 2019


there are many  way to become a data scientist. either you can do bachelors degree in computer science engineering and can do mtech or 11 month data science oriented program from iiits .  or you can do bsc in statistics and  can do msc after bsc on data science. so there is many ways. but I dont know how can you manage the graduation if you moved out of india after 2 years. for engineering it takes 4 years and for bsc degree it takes 3 years.

so please think about it.


Can I write IELTS to work as a gynecologist in Canada after completing my PG in Canada

Manidipa Kundu Student Expert 10th Nov, 2019


IELTS examination is the language proficiency test exam for study in abroad. if you want to work in canada you need to have working visa permit. ielts exam has nothing to do with your working process. most of the candidates return india once they have completed their studies in abroad.if you want to work in any hospital of canada it is necessary to fulfill the criteria and entrance test of Canadian medical council.


what studies can i do in canada or uk aftrer persuing my masters in management without work experience

[email protected] 10th Nov, 2019

Hey there. Hope you are doing good. I would like to tell you that since you have done Masters in Management, so it is advisable for you to pursue MBA abroad if you want to settle there. But since you have mentioned that you do not have any work experience. So, it is suggested that you should gain some experience in your respective field. This will help in your admission abroad. Usually, top universities in UK and Canada require a minimum of 2 years work experience to pursue MBA as a degree abroad. You can look for other options too such as Project Management, Finance Management etc. I hope you found this answer helpful. Good Luck.


hi, I want to study in canada for computer engineering. what is the process. Moreover my financial condition is not well. how can I get scholarship?

Manidipa Kundu Student Expert 31st Oct, 2019


you did not mention in your question that you want to pursue for masters or bachelors course. see if you want to pursue bachelors than I will suggest you not to join because its really expensive. you also mention that your family financial condition is not good. after pursuing btech i n canada there is no surety that you can do job in canada and getting a scholarship is really difficult , it varies college to college. in india after btech freshers get job with 3-5lpa .

please think before taking any decision.

Never miss exam and college updates Login
The question have been saved in answer later, you can access it from your profile anytime. Access now

Download the Careers360 App on your Android phone

Regular exam updates, QnA, Predictors, College Applications & E-books now on your Mobile

Careers360 App
150M+ Students
24,000+ Colleges
500+ Exams
1500+ E-books