How to transfer from one university to another in USA
How to transfer from one university to another in USA: This is a question which often bothers international students in the USA. While some students get admission to their desired college or university, a lot of students do a compromise, with a plan to transfer later from one university to another. Transferring from one university to another in the USA can take place in various ways. The transfer can take place from one university to another or from one college to another. Also, the students transferring from one university to another in the USA can do so after or before the first semester or between the academic years. International students who transfer from a community college to a four-year college or university do a 2 + 2 years programme, wherein they complete a two years’ associate degree programme at a community college and then transfer to a four-year university to finish their Bachelor’s degree.
|Some MUST-BEs to ensure before your transfer from one university to another in USA:|
While planning transfer from one university to another in the USA, the first thing which international students ought to do is to consult their International Student Advisor and Academic Advisor. Every college or university in USA has a different transfer policy. While transferring from college is easy and smooth process in some universities, in case of others, transferring from one college to another is a long and tiresome process. This is where advisors will come to help. Knowing the US education system well, the International Student Advisors or Academic Advisors act as the ideal guide for international students planning to transfer from one university to another. They will help students plan the process of transferring to another university, apply at a university at the right time, inform the correct authority, make the necessary changes and complete the transfer without any hassle.
After consulting with the International Student Advisor, the student needs to initiate the transferring procedure. The student should ensure to secure the approval of the department head as well as other relevant authorities. After securing the permission, the student should start with the process of transfer of the SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Programme) record and other essential documents, clear the pending fees and close remaining formalities with the previous university. Simultaneously, the student should contact the International Student Advisor of the new university and complete the process for the transfer to take place.
How to transfer from one college to another in USA:
- One of the most important things that international students need to keep in mind is the transfer of their SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Programme) records. They need to keep in mind that their records and status is transferred to the new university and updated instead of getting deleted. Once deleted, international students will have to re-apply with all the documents like bank statements, passport, I 94, new I 20 and a requisition letter asking to re-instate the student’s status to the USCIS. The re-instating process is not only lengthy but also unpredictable as one can't be sure of positive result.
- Another point which international students should remember while transferring from one university to another in the USA is approval of the department head of the course the student is pursuing at the corresponding university. For the college to transfer the student’s SEVIS record and smoothly carry out the entire process of transferring, the sanction of the department head is necessary.
- International students wanting to transfer from one college to another in the USA must start the process early, so that they get ample to time to transfer all the documents and inform all the stake-holders in time.
How to transfer from one college to another in USA: Things to know before you start with the process
- Students should find out the maximum number of credits that can be transferred while migrating from one university to another.
- Students should find out whether the special English language classes they are pursuing at the previous college can be transferred to the new college.
- Although there is usually a minimum GPA requirement in order to transfer, the GPA earned at one college does not usually affect the GPA at another.
- Students should know the accreditations of the university they are planning to transfer.
United States of America Updates and Articles
Study in US – Candidates willing to study in USA can check her...
Questions related to United States of America
I wish to become a Neurosurgeon, but first I wish to practice in the United States or Singapore for half of my career and to spend last half of my career in India. Whether my wish is a good one? Is it possible? Is my decision is correct? Kindly commend on my wish?
Raja, we have been discussing your career and aspirations for a while now and we appreciate that you want to take Career360's opinion on the matter of your career. So by now, you are aware of the fact what it takes to become a neurosurgeon and what it is to clear USMLE, practise as a resident in the US. We also have discussed the life style and the salary part. Now regarding the first half and later half of the career, we only wish we could predict our timeline on this planet. We do not which might be the first half or which might be the later part. But no wish is bad. If you want to achieve something, you should lest you regret for the rest of your lofe. Now to practise in the US, you may have to appear for USMLE, clear the step 1 and then practise as a resident before you can get the license to practise as a full time neurosurgeon. That is a long process that might take good 4-5 years. You study MBBS in India for 50 months and then complete the 1 year rotational internship and it takes you as many as 5 years. And appearing for USMLE and then working as a resident take another 4 years and so 10 years of your life are spent getting a valid license to practise in the US. And then lets say after 5 years you want to move to Singapore, that takes a whole different processing because you need to appear for their license exam. And you work in Singapore for lets say another 5 years and you come back to India. 15 years of your life are spent studying and getting licenses. But the beauty is within 15 years you can actually get license to practise in 3 countries. So you need to take a call. Or how about you finish MBBS in India, move to Singapore to study your MD/MS and plan on moving to the US? That way the transition is going to be smoother.
Is there any age limit to take admission into Ph.D in USA?
The age limit which almost every University demands is 35 years. If anybody is above that they can might miss the chance to get enroll theirselves for phd.
This age is decided because phd is all about researching and writing ,they usually demand people who is also iinvolved in academics and departmental works.
Are Neurosurgeons happy in San Francisco?
Well I guess they are because they get very good six figure salary and have a great job security although it's stressing but still they like their job cause they got into it knowing the stress it may carry. Neurosurgery is very much in demand and is a very great speciality in medical field.
I hope my answer helps.
All the best.
Are Neurosurgeons happy in New York?
It will all depend upon the lifestyle and the office hours you put in the work. The number of opd days, OT days and the visit to the wards for rounds. It all affect the free time period for a doctor. In USA,you have to pay tax for the services thus it can be little less than what you make in india
Are US Neurosurgeons rich enough to live a comfortable life in the United States?
It will totally depend where are you working and what are you getting paid.
As US is anyways costly ,there lifestyle tends to change.Neurosurgeons in Us are paid according to their qualification as well as where they work
According to research
The average income for a neurosurgeon is $775,968
The middle range income is approx $704,170
the lowest paid are $350,000
And the top 10 % of the neurosurgeon get a pay of $1,229,881 per year!
So it totally depends upon your qualification and the place you work if you can have a comfortable life or not