Careers360 Logo
Work opportunities after study in UK

Work opportunities after study in UK

Edited By Vadlapudi Kiran Kumar | Updated on Aug 22, 2023 09:35 AM IST

Work Opportunities after Study in UK: With more than four lakh international students, the UK is the second most popular destination for higher studies after the USA. The flexible education system which is also in sync with a student's future plan after study in UK helps attract students to the country. When seeking to study in UK, international students must also have a future plan after study in UK. A very common question in this regard is "What to do after studying in the UK?". In fact, many students again come to the UK in the belief that work opportunities after study in UK are decent enough and will allow them to make it big in the UK labor market. Especially job opportunities in UK after MS are aplenty both in UK and across the world.
Country Guide: UK | Ireland | Australia |

Benefits of Studying in UK

  • Universities in the UK are globally recognized with ten of them making it to the top 50 in QS World University Ranking 2015/16.

  • 75% of international students get into a well-paid job after Masters in UK.

  • Job opportunities in UK after masters fetch average salaries in the range of 31-58 L INR per annum.

  • 5% of the world’s scientific research and 14% of the most frequently cited papers originate in the UK.

  • Teaching methodology is crafted to give creative freedom and room for personal skill development.

  • UK has some of the best faculty and industry experts guiding students.

Getting a job in UK after masters is influenced by various factors like the university, skills, course completed, and academic performance for every student. International students must note that there is no requirement of a separate work permit after study in UK. Post-study work visa after study in UK allows students to stay in UK for up to three years. However, active efforts are necessary to land in the UK job market as the competition is increasing every year.

When it comes to work opportunities in UK after studies, there have been some changes since 2012, when the Tier 1 visa was scrapped. The Tier 1 visa allowed non-EEA (European Economic Area) graduates unlimited access to the UK labor market and enabled them to a job in UK after masters without sponsorship for up to two years. But it is reduced to four months now.

Tier 1 visa, as part of the work after study in UK program, was meant for students who completed their bachelor’s or master’s degrees from recognized institutions in the UK, a UK Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGDE) or Professional Graduate Diploma of Education (PGDE) or a Higher National Diploma from a Scottish institution. But now there are different visa rules under which a student can take up work after study in UK, which in turn is influencing how students view studying in UK. Students are understandably anxious about what to do after studying in the UK and about job opportunities after masters in UK.

Job Opportunities in UK after Masters via Tier 1

Since April 06, 2012, Tier 2 (General) has replaced Tier 1 as the primary route through which non-EEA graduates can seek employment in the UK and fulfill future plans after completing studies in UK. Additionally, visa categories were created or changes made to existing ones to accommodate a limited number of non-EEA graduates in the UK so that they can stay back and exploit work opportunities in UK after studies. These include Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme, Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur, Tier 5 Youth Mobility, UK Ancestry, and Tier 5 GAE, in addition to Tier 1.

But not all of these visas are meant for a student of any single country, as while the UK Ancestry is reserved for members of the Commonwealth countries or whose grandparent is born in the UK, the Tier 5 Youth Mobility is for individuals of nationalities that include Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan and New Zealand.

Types of Visas for Post-study Work in UK

Visa Type


Sponsorship requirement

Maximum duration

Switching from Tier 4 inside the UK

What do I need to qualify?

Are dependents allowed?

Tier 4 Doctorate

Extension Scheme

For students who have nearly completed their PhD and want to remain in the UK for a further 12 months to work, look for work or set up a business

Need sponsorship from the university

12 months from course completion date

Yes (but students can apply only from inside the UK)

A CAS from the university.


Tier 2 (General)

The primary route for working in UK. This visa is granted for a specific job and employer

Yes, from the Tier 2 licensed employer

5 years


Job offer from Tier 2 sponsor


Tier 1 Graduate


A scheme for graduates who have genuine and pragmatic business ideas

No (instead need endorsement from the university or UK Trade Center and Investment)

12 months with the scope of renewal for an additional 12 months


Investment of £200,000 or £50,000


Tier 5 Temporary Worker

Short time visa for work experience or to do training


Up to 2 years


Tier 5 sponsor


Tier 2 (General) for Full-Time Employment in UK

If you want full-time employment, Tier 2 General visa is the route for job opportunities in UK after MS. Using this visa, you can stay in the UK for up to five years. But bear in mind while applying for this visa to secure a job, as the visa is granted only to individuals who already have a job offer. Once you have completed the permitted five years under this visa, you have the option of applying for permanent citizenship of the UK or else decide to extend the visa by another year. When it comes to working outside your job/venture, you are permitted to do so under some conditions. For students looking for work after study in UK, Tier 2 visa is easily the best bet for job opportunities in UK after MS.

Considering the benefits and flexibility of Tier 2 (General) visa for a job in UK after masters, it is not surprising that many want to switch from Tier 4 to Tier 2 (General). The important conditions for the switch include:

- A bachelor’s degree from the UK

- A master’s degree from the UK

- A post graduate certification in education

- A professional graduate diploma of education
Students need to understand that it is not just Tier 4 that allows you to switch to Tier 2 (General), but there are a few others as well.

Prospects seeking PR after study in UK must complete five years of stay through Tier 2 (General) visa, and obtain an "indefinite leave to remain (ILR)" Visa. Having a full time job, good code of conduct and absence of any criminal records are important to get an ILR. ILR visa processing time is 6 months which also requires passing of "Life in UK" test and a recognized English Language Proficiency test.

Eligibility for Tier 2(General): The normal salary cap for applying for the Tier 2 (General) visa is £20,800 (pre-tax). In addition, students need to give proof of English language proficiency, which can be met with a degree-level qualification from any recognized UK university. In fact, international students are required to produce IELTS/TOEFL scores at the time of admission as proof of their English proficiency at all the popular universities in the UK. Thus a degree from such a university is tantamount to your English language proficiency.

Tier 1 for Graduate Entrepreneurs

If you are fresh graduate or post-graduate researcher having pragmatic business ideas and wondering what to do after studying in the UK, the Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur visa is the way. It will allow you to stay in the UK for one year enabling you to take advantage of the work opportunities in the UK. However, this visa cannot be used for the purpose of development or property management. If you are applying for the visa from inside the UK, you need to submit proof of £945 in savings in your bank account for 90 days before you apply. In case you are applying from outside the UK, the minimum amount in your account should be £1,890. Like Tier 2, proof of English language proficiency is also needed.

The new immigration policies that came into force in 2012 also require international students from non-EEA countries to pay to use the NHS, which is a sort of health insurance for students. The current fee is £150 per student, per year of the visa. There is an additional £75, which should be paid for part years of less than six months. You have to take into account all these factors when you decide to go to the UK for higher studies, along with work opportunities after study in UK.

Frequently Asked Question (FAQs)

1. Is it easy to get job in uk after masters?

Completing studies from top ranked universities in UK make it easy to find a job in the UK. With graduate route that allows stay up to 2 years after studies, international students can stay in UK and find a suitable job.

2. What to do after studying in the uk?

There are many options to take up after completing studies in UK. Students may go for higher studies in the country by extending their visa; pursue job opportunities by staying in UK up to 3 years on post-study work visa; stay in UK for five years with a full time job offer from a UK employer and obtain a PR in UK.


Questions related to

Get answers from students and experts


Hope you are doing great.

Answering to your question, Certainly, you are eligible to participate in the NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test), a crucial pathway for pursuing medical education in India. Let's break down the eligibility criteria:

Age Requirement:

- You must be 17 years or older by December 31, 2024, to qualify for NEET.

- There is no upper age limit for appearing in the NEET exam.

Academic Qualification:

- Completion of your 12th standard (10+2) with the following subjects is necessary: Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.

- The minimum percentage of marks required in class 12 boards is:

- 50% for General and EWS applicants

- 40% for SC/ST/OBC applicants

Additional Subject Consideration:

- If you had PCM (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics) with Biology as an additional subject, you can still apply for NEET 2024.

- It is mandatory to have studied biology in your 10+2 curriculum to meet NEET eligibility criteria.

Attempts and Age Limit:

- Unlike some other government entrance exams, there is no limit on the number of attempts for NEET.

- You can take NEET regardless of your previous attempts.

Hope this helps!!

dear student,

yes you can get job in uk and outside india with bsc and msc in geology from india.

your degree is valid outside also.

in recent times there is a rise in the demand for geologist around the globe and if you have a good resume and some work experience getting a job in united kingdom will be easy for you.

hope this helped.

Dear aspirant hope you are doing well...

Masters in Aviation Management in UK Universities

Aviation Management universities in UKMasters in Aviation Management in UK

  • Cranfield UniversityMSc in Air Transport Management
  • Cranfield UniversityMSc in Airport Planning and Management
  • Cranfield UniversityMSc in Safety and Human Factors in Aviation

Hope it's helpful thank you

Hello Student

In the school level e face student has a gap period of 2 years then he or she will be allowed for taking admission in United Kingdom for higher studies. Baat inke supposed variation if there is a gap of 5 years in the graduation level then the candidate will be allowed for taking admission in post graduation in United Kingdom. As the rules permit your gap of 5 years for taking admission in prostation level then you are mostly eligible for taking admission in MSC courses in United Kingdom.

This will help.

hi Aspirants,

As per your query,

In short, Indian pharmacy degrees are not directly accepted by the UK you will need to do a 1-year University-based conversion course called the OSPAP, after this, you will need to do the “pre-reg exam” and then you will become licensed to work by the GPhC .

The General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC)  ( is the regulator of pharmacists and pharmacies in the UK, this is similar to the FDA in India.

for further information, you can check out this link as given below:

Hope you understand , in case of any query you can comment here.

Thank you .

View All
Back to top