Indo -US Research fellowships for Indian students from IUSSTF
The Indo-US Science and Technology Forum (IUSSTF) in association with the Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB) of the Dept. of Science & Technology (DST), Govt. of India announces the Indo-US Research Fellowships with the objective to enable young researchers from India to carry out research in frontier areas of science and technology at a premier institution in the USA.
Eligibility Criteria for Indo-US Research Fellowship
Academic Qualifications: Ph.D. in Science, Engineering,Technology or Medicine.
Note: Applicants must provide proof of independent research work in internationally recognized academic journals.
Age: Upto 40 years as on 31 December 2012
Employment: A permanent position in a public funded R&D lab/ S&T institution (non-private)/ recognized universities/colleges in India
Area of Work: Area proposed by the candidate should be clearly defined as:Atmospheric and Earth Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Life Sciences
- Medical Sciences
- Mathematical and Computational Sciences
- Physical Sciences
Promising applications in areas other than the above areas may also be considered.
Place of work: The fellow should be accepted by the US scientific/technological institution, which is internationally recognized as an outstanding institution where major work in the identified area is in progress. There should be willingness on the part of the American institution to accept and extend necessary support to the candidate for the work proposed.
The candidate should himself/herself correspond with their proposed host institution abroad for placement. Candidate is required to produce evidence, in the form of a letter of acceptance from the US institution to be visited along with merits/uniqueness of that host institute in the proposed area.
Note: The candidates who have availed any other overseas fellowship to USA for a period of more than three months through any Government/public funding agency during last two years will also not be considered for this fellowship.
Fellowship: US $ 3000 per month
- A personal contingency grant of upto a maximum of Rs. 50,000 to cover for visa, airport transfer, medical insurance etc.
- Medical insurance expenses, visa fee, airport transfer charges to be met by the fellow from out of this personal contingency grant.
IUSSTF Fellow will also be permitted to travel within USA to attend conferences or visit other institutes of interest with the approval of the advisor at the host institute. The Fellow will be entitled to avail one of the following grants for this purpose.
- Grant of $ 600 for fellowship period upto 6 months
- Grant of $ 1200 for fellowship period beyond 6 months
- Air-tickets for all the selected IUSSTF Fellow would be provided directly by the IUSSTF travel desk by economy class and shortest route from their place of work in India to the place of the American host institute and back. As a rule, reimbursements will not be provided for air tickets purchased directly.
- Rules governing payment of salary, leave, medical, gratuity, GPF and pension etc. of the organization/ institution/ university to which the fellow belongs would continue to be applicable. No liability on any of these accounts will be borne by IUSSTF.
- The candidate selected for the award of the Indo-US fellowship should commence their research with six month period from the date of award announcement. Failure to do so would render the fellow forfeit the award.
- The application should be submitted in the prescribed format i.e. Application Summary and Detailed Application Form
- Application should not be more than 20 pages maximum including CVs
- Application should be forwarded through the head of organization/ department where the candidate is employed
- Scanned copy of acceptance letter from host institution in USA
Complete Application should be submitted electronically to:
Indo-US Science and Technology Forum (IUSSTF)
Email: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to Download the Brochure
Submission deadline: 8 March 2013
Dr. Smriti Trikha
Indo-US Science and Technology Forum
12 Hailey Road, Fulbright House
New Delhi- 110 001
Ph: 91-11-42691700; Fax: 91-11-23321552