About GRE 2019
The Graduate Record Examination 2019 or the GRE 2019 is an internationally recognised exam which is administered by Educational Testing Services or ETS. The GRE examination is taken by prospective students for postgraduate programs in foreign universities and GRE scores are accepted in colleges and universities in over 160 countries across the globe. The GRE tests a candidate upon his or her readiness for postgraduate level education and the testing areas for the GRE General Test include quantitative reasoning, verbal reasoning and analytical writing. The GRE General test is a primary requirement for most international postgraduate programs.
Apart from the GRE General test, there are specialised GRE subject tests for candidates applying for niche postgraduate programs which require proof of subject expertise. The various GRE Subject Tests are:
- Literature in English
GRE 2019 Highlights
|Full Exam Name||Graduate Record Exam|
|Short Exam Name||GRE|
|Conducting Body||Educational Testing Service|
|Exam Level||University Level Exam|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|GRE General Test - Duration||3 Hours 45 Minutes+6 More|
- There is no specific eligibility criteria for the GRE 2019 exam. Candidates must instead meet the individual eligibility criteria for prospective colleges and universities of application.
- A candidate must carry a valid passport at the time of the GRE exam.
- As the GRE exam is for admission to postgraduate programs, it is generally expected that the candidate has completed or is near completion of his or her undergraduate study.
Mode of Application : Online
Mode of Payment : Credit Card | Debit Card
In order to apply for the GRE 2019 exam, candidates must first create an ETS account.
- The candidate must register for a new account with ETS either online, via phone or via mail. The most common and simple application procedure is the online method.
- The candidate must fill in the required details and information in order to successfully create an ETS account.
- After creation of an ETS account, the candidate can schedule a GRE test.
- The candidate must select which test he or she wishes to schedule: the GRE General or the GRE Subject test.
- The candidate must then select the desired test centre and the test date from dates available for that centre.
- The final step in the application procedure is the payment of the exam fee for GRE 2019. For the GRE General Test, the fee is USD $205 and for the GRE Subject Test, the fee is USD $150.
GRE 2019 Syllabus
Cellular and molecular biology
Ecology and evolution
Measurements, methodology and other
Optics and wave phenomena
Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics
Cultural and historical contexts
History and theory of literary criticism
GRE 2019 Preparation Tips
In order to prepare for the GRE 2019 test, candidates must keep the following preparation tips in mind:
Candidates should regularly practice vocabulary words with sentences rather than memorising word lists and meanings.
Candidates should read the verbal question slowly and in a sectional manner in order to properly comprehend the question and possible answers.
Candidates should practice verbal and quantitative questions in a timed environment.
Candidates should understand the quantitative concepts which commonly appear in the GRE General test.
Candidates should practice essay writing for both the issue and argument tasks of the Analytical Writing Assessment. Practice should be done in a timed environment.
Candidates should thoroughly understand the exam pattern and the type of questions in the GRE General test so as to be prepared on the test day.
GRE 2019 Exam Pattern
The GRE General 2019 exam primarily comprises 3 sections:
- Verbal Reasoning
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Analytical Writing Assessment
The Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning sections consist of multiple choice questions with one answer correct and multiple choice questions with more than one answer correct. The Analytical Writing Assessment section comprises 2 essay tasks. There is no negative marking in the GRE exam. Apart from the three scored GRE sections, another unscored section is provided by ETS for research purposes. This unscored section is either Quantitative or Verbal Reasoning and the candidate will not know which section is the unscored section prior to or after the exam.
GRE General 2018 Exam Pattern
Number of Questions
Analytical Writing Assessment
60 minutes (30+30)
2 essay tasks:
Can be either verbal or quantitative
GRE Biology Exam Pattern
The GRE Subject Test 2019 for Biology comprises 190 multiple choice questions which 5 options each. The test is divided into 3 broad sections which focus on the following domains:
- Cellular and Molecular Biology
- Organismal Biology
- Ecology and Evolution
The final score for the GRE Subject Test in Biology features a total score as well as individual subscores for each of the three subcategories.
GRE Chemistry Exam Pattern
The GRE Subject Test 2019 in Chemistry comprises approximately 130 questions which are multiple choice type. Along with the test booklet, candidates are provided with a periodic table as well as requisite physical constants and SI conversion factors. Logarithmic values are also provided where required. The exam content is divided into 4 broad subcategories of Chemistry which are:
- Analytical Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
GRE Literature in English Exam Pattern
The GRE Subject Test 2019 in Literature in English comprises approximately 230 questions of multiple choice type on various topics such as drama, history of the language, poetry, the short story, the essay, biography, criticism, the novel and literary theory.
The exam is broadly divided into four subcategories, namely:
- Literary Analysis
- Cultural and Historical Contexts
- History and Theory of Literary Criticisms
GRE Mathematics Exam Pattern
The GRE Subject Test 2019 for Mathematics comprises approximately 66 questions of multiple choice type. These questions are from mathematical topics which are generally covered in undergraduate level mathematics.
Approximately 50% of the Mathematics exam are based on calculus and its various applications. Another 25% are based on linear algebra, number theory, abstract algebra and elementary algebra. There is no specific syllabus for this GRE Subject Test.
GRE Physics Exam Pattern
The GRE Subject Test 2019 for Physics comprises approximately 100 multiple choice questions with 5 choice each. The test focuses on fundamental concepts of Physics which are generally covered in undergraduate education. Along with the test booklet, candidates are provided with requisite physical constants as well as SI conversion factors. The exam content can be broadly classified into the following subcategories:
- Classical Mechanics
- Optics and Wave Phenomena
- Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics
- Quantum Mechanics
- Atomic Physics
- Special Relativity
- Laboratory Methods
- Specialised Topics
GRE Psychology Exam Pattern
The GRE Subject Test 2019 for Psychology comprises approximately 205 questions of multiple choice type which have 5 choices each. The Psychology test's terminology and classifications adhere to those listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (5th edition). The exam content can be broadly classified into six subcategories:
The final score for the GRE Subject Test in Psychology features a total score as well as individual subscores for each of the six subcategories.
GRE 2019 Mock Test
In order to ensure comprehensive preparation for the GRE General 2019 test, candidates must practice mock tests and sample papers.
Various GRE General practice tests are available for free in the Careers360 Sample paper store which candidates can use to hone their testing skills for GRE 2019.
Candidates should solve these papers in a timed environment in order to gain semblance of the test day conditions.
GRE 2019 Exam Centers
GRE Biology Exam Centers
GRE Chemistry Exam Centers
GRE Literature in English Exam Centers
GRE Mathematics Exam Centers
GRE Physics Exam Centers
GRE Psychology Exam Centers
Documents Required at Exam
- Valid government issued passport
- The GRE 2019 result for the Quantitative and Verbal Reasoning sections is displayed on the computer screen of the candidate immediately after completion of the exam. This makes up the overall GRE General 2019 score of the candidate.
- The score for the Analytical Writing Assessment section is available with the unofficial score report approximately 10-15 days after the test day.
- The GRE Subject Test 2019 score reports are available to the candidates online approximately 5 weeks after the date of the test. Candidates will receive an email from ETS once the GRE Subject Test scores are available.
GRE General 2019 Scores:
The Quantitative Reasoning and Verbal Reasoning sections are scored on a 130-170 point scale with 1 point increments. The total GRE General score is the summation of the Quantitative and Verbal Reasoning scores and is calculated on a 260-340 point scale.
The Analytical Writing Assessment scores are reported separately and are calculated on a 0-6 point scale with 0.5 point increments. The Analytical Writing Assessment score does not contribute to the total GRE General score.
GRE Subject Test 2019 Score:
Each of the GRE Subject Tests 2019 is scored on a 200 to 990 point scale with increments of 10 points and the candidate’s raw score is determined by the number of questions he or she answers correctly. The GRE Subject Test for both Biology and Psychology also feature a score on a 20-99 point scale with increments of 1 point.
Questions related to GRE
Im interested to do BBA in canada.Is it necessary to attempt GRE ?
Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) is a 4-year full time undergraduate course. To study in Canada, you must have qualified their secondary level education or equivalent to pursue this course.Basic Requirement is :IELTS- 6.5, TOEFL- 88, CAEL- 70 and PTE- 65In Canada, GRE is required for master's level admission, and some universities and programs may need a good score in the test too.
As you intend to study business, you don't require appearing for GRE exam.
Hope this helps!
If I want to go to uk, canada or usa to pursue higher studies, which exam should i give? GMAT,GRE,SAT,ACT, TOEFL OR IELTS? Also, please give me a comparisons between these exams
The type of exam should you give depends on the University you're looking for and also the course.
SAT or ACT is basically for Undergraduate courses while GRE and GMAT is for Postgraduate courses. TOEFL and IELTS are basically English Proficiency tests. They are given by the candidates whose native language is not English, it too varies according to the university. Every university has it's different criteria but if you're looking for Undergraduate course then you should give SAT as it is accepted by many universities and the language exam based on what the university is accepting.
LPU is not AICTE Approved neither a Demmed University ? I know its UGC Approved but , Will it cause problem in Higher studies Abroad and in India (GRE/GMAT/GATE) or problems in Off Campus Placement and Company Switching ? Please Give Correct Answer !!!! DO NOT GIVE LPU WEBSITE NOT HAVING AICTEREASON
Lets go point by point:
1. Universities DO NOT need AICTE approvals, as AICTE is not the regulatory authority for Universities.
2. LPU is a full fledged PRIVATE University established u/s 2F of UGC act. Deemed universities are those which run only one branch of courses and are not given FULL university status by UGC.
3. For higher studies abroad: LPU itself has tie ups with over 200 top universities world over. secondly, most universities abroad take the scores of GRE/GMAT/GATE etc, there are thousands of LPU students world over who have passed these examinations and are either studying abroad or have completed their studies.
4. Higher studies in India: All the LPU courses are recognized by all the universities in India for qualifying examination purpose due to UGC recognition.
5. Placements: LPU has one of the biggest and most elaborate placement process for thousands of its students in all the programs and more than 600 companies visit the campus for recruitment offering lucrative offers. Going to company switching later on, the skills attained in LPU act as catalyst in your career. Most of the technologies being taught in LPU improve your efficiency by leaps and bounds.
Hope this solves all the points.
How to shortlist the universities that matches your profile and is it advisable to apply with the low GRE score if GPA is satisfactory?
Try searching for the top universities and apply for them. If your GRE score is low but above the required score then a strong LOR of SOP may compensate for it. While selecting the candidates GRE is not the only criterion taken into account.
I want to pursue a PhD from english- speaking country. So do I need to take IELTS and GRE both?
Dear Akira a,
As per your query there is no need to go for both ,You can choose any of one Where you should good score .You can either GRE or IELTS or TOFEL .Score is much more important So as per my suggest please focus in one .