US student visa: With around 750,000 international students, the United States continues to be the star attraction for students across the globe planning to study abroad. Students are making a beeline to the US in such large numbers because the US is home to over 150 universities that are listed in the QS World University Rankings. And as to why university rankings matter, you only need to check a survey conducted by QS, according to which over 70% students cited international reputation as the top priority while selecting a destination.


Being the most sought after destination for students, the US gets one of the highest number of student visa applications from students spread across the world.


However, applying for a US student visa involves decoding a complex structure of visa categories, forms and appointments.


Here, we have decoded the US student visa application process through a series of questions and steps. Read on to get a comprehensive understanding of the USA student visa process and how to apply for a student visa:


 Q: The USA has more than one category of VISA for students migrating to the country. Which category would a student fall under?

A: Students travelling to the US specifically for the purpose of study will fall under the Non-immigrant visa category. Within this category too, students are categorized according to the type and duration of study. Basically, there are three types of visas for students who want to migrate to the United States for the purpose of education. They are:


F-1, J-1 and M-1 Student Visa


a. F-1 Student Visa: Apply for the F-1 visa if you are planning to pursue full-time academic programs at the Undergraduate, Masters or doctoral level. However, if you have a spouse or children accompanying you to the States, you can apply under the F-2 visa category.


b. M-Student Visa: Those who want to pursue non-academic or vocational training in the USA can apply under the M-1 visa category. The pursued programs are generally of short duration.


c. J-1 Student Visa: The J-1 visas are reserved for students who go to the US for exchange or trainee programs. Applicants include university professors, researchers, post-doctoral fellows and trainees. 


Q: When to apply for Student Visa?
You cannot apply for a Student Visa prior to four months or 120 days from the date of commencement of your course as given in the I -20 for F-1 visas or DS-2019 for J visas.


Q: What is form I-20 and DS-2019?
Form I-20 is a document issued by a SEVP- certified college or university in the USA to an international student after the acceptance of the student in the institution. The form, which is a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Status, is given to both F and M students. Basically, the Form I-20 is a paper record of your information in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) database which is maintained by the US Homeland Security.

The DS-2019 is issued only to J visitors by the designated sponsors of the exchange visitors. The form is completed by the sponsor prior to being given to the participant.

You need the I-20 and DS-2019 form to pay the SEVIS fee.


Q: How to get started with the application process?
 First step-DS-160

After determining your non-immigrant VISA type, the first step is to complete the online DS-160 form. The form must be submitted in order to book your interview with American embassy or consulate.

CLICK HERE to apply for the DS-160 form

CLICK HERE to know how to complete the DS-160 form


Second Step- Visa and SEVIS fee

Every Visa applicant is required to pay a visa fee before making an appointment for the interview at the embassy or consulate. The fee, commonly known as MRV fee, is non-refundable and has to be paid whether you are issued a visa or not. The fee is determined by the type of visa you are applying for.


The application fee for the non-immigrant student visa is $160 and it can be paid after you have completed the DS-160 form.


However, applicants holding J visas and who are participating in certain official US Government-sponsored educational and cultural exchanges are not required to pay the visa fee.


As a student you have to pay a separate visa fee known as SEVIS fee. For non-immigrant students with Form I-20, the SEVIS fee is US$200 while for most exchange visitors with Form DS-2019 the fee is US$180.




Q: What is SEVIS fee? How do pay your SEVIS fee?
 The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is a system that tracks non-immigrant students in the USA.

You can make online payment for SEVIS through form I-901.


CLICK HERE to pay your SEVIS fee.


You must have a complete and accurate Form I‘20 or Form DS‘2019 to complete the Form I‘901 online and to pay the SEVIS I‘901 Fee.


Third Step- Create an online profile

You can schedule your appointment with the embassy of the United States after paying the visa and SEVIS fee. In order to schedule a visa interview, you will have to register and create a profile online.


CLICK HERE to create your profile


Fourth Step- Schedule your appointments

You can schedule your appointment once your online profile is created. Thereafter, follow the steps given below:

  • You have to schedule two appointments - one for the Visa Application Center (VAC) and one for the interview at the Embassy.
  • First, schedule your appointment at the Embassy.
  • Second, schedule your appointment at a Visa Application Centre. This appointment will allow you to go to one of the five Visa Application Centre locations to have your fingerprints and photo taken. This appointment must be at least one day before your visa interview appointment at the Embassy.

 Q: What are the documents required at VAC?

To schedule your VAC appointment, carry the required documents:

  • A passport valid for travel to the US with a validity date at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States
  • Visa application (MRV) fee payment receipt
  • DS-160 confirmation page
  • A valid E-mail address
  • Your appointment confirmation page.

Fifth Step: Interview at the US Embassy or Consulate

You can visit the US embassy for your interview following the visit to the VAC. Therefore, you must schedule the VAC appointment at least one day before the interview appointment date.


You will need to take the following documents:

  • A printed copy of your appointment confirmation letter,
  • Your DS-160 confirmation page stamped at the VAC
  • Your current and all old passports,
  • Supporting documents as per your visa type


Q: What are the required supporting documents to apply for US Visa?
You should bring the following documents to your interview:

  • Documents demonstrating strong financial, social and family ties to your home country.
  •  Financial and any other documents that will give evidence that you have available funds to meet all expenses for the first year of study and that you have access to funds sufficient to cover all expenses while you remain in the United States. 

M-1 applicants have to show their ability to pay all tuition and living costs for the entire period of their intended stay.

  • Original bank books and photocopies of bank statements
  • If you are financially sponsored by another person, you have to show proof of your relationship to the sponsor (such as your birth certificate), the sponsor’s most recent original tax forms and the sponsor's bankbooks and/or fixed deposit certificates.
  • Academic documents are a must. You will be required to show your mark sheets from high school to graduation (whichever the level might be), with grades, public examination certificates, standardized test scores (SAT, TOEFL, GRE GMAT etc.), and diplomas.


Q: What after the interview?
 If your visa is approved, you can collect your passport and visa from the location you selected at the time of scheduling for the interview. When your passport is available at selected location you will receive an email and an SMS that your passport is “Ready for Pick Up”.


Q: How to check your application status?
The US embassy has created a system whereby you can check the status of your visa application. You can check your status online.


CLICK HERE to check the status of your US visa application


Now that we have decoded the US application process for you, take the leap and get started to study in the USA!

Visa and Departure

Applications Open Now

Bennett University Admissions 2020
Bennett University Admissions...
Masters' Union School of Business
Masters' Union School of Busi...
Manipal ICAS Admissions 2020
Manipal ICAS Admissions 2020
Bennett University 30 May B.Tech Last date
Bennett University 30 May B.T...
Chitkara University Admissions 2020
Chitkara University Admission...
UPES B.Tech - 30 JUNE UPESEAT Last date
View All Application Forms

United States of America Updates and Articles

Questions related to United States of America

Showing 37 out of 37 Questions

I wish to become a Neurosurgeon, but first I wish to practice in the United States or Singapore for half of my career and to spend last half of my career in India. Whether my wish is a good one? Is it possible? Is my decision is correct? Kindly commend on my wish?

Priyaanka Sarkar Student Expert 7th Apr, 2020

Raja, we have been discussing your career and aspirations for a while now and we appreciate that you want to take Career360's opinion on the matter of your career. So by now, you are aware of the fact what it takes to become a neurosurgeon and what it is to clear USMLE, practise as a resident in the US. We also have discussed the life style and the salary part. Now regarding the first half and later half of the career, we only wish we could predict our timeline on this planet. We do not which might be the first half or which might be the later part. But no wish is bad. If you want to achieve something, you should lest you regret for the rest of your lofe. Now to practise in the US, you may have to appear for USMLE, clear the step 1 and then practise as a resident before you can get the license to practise as a full time neurosurgeon. That is a long process that might take good 4-5 years. You study MBBS in India for 50 months and then complete the 1 year rotational internship and it takes you as many as 5 years. And appearing for USMLE and then working as a resident take another 4 years and so 10 years of your life are spent getting a valid license to practise in the US. And then lets say after 5 years you want to move to Singapore, that takes a whole different processing because you need to appear for their license exam. And you work in Singapore for lets say another 5 years and you come back to India. 15 years of your life are spent studying and getting licenses. But the beauty is within 15 years you can actually get license to practise in 3 countries. So you need to take a call. Or how about you finish MBBS in India, move to Singapore to study your MD/MS and plan on moving to the US? That way the transition is going to be smoother.


Is there any age limit to take admission into Ph.D in USA?

lakshita shaan 3rd Apr, 2020
Hey vasu,
The age limit which almost every University demands is 35 years. If anybody is above that they can might miss the chance to get enroll theirselves for phd.
This age is decided because phd is all about researching and writing ,they usually demand people who is also iinvolved in academics and departmental works.
Good luck!

Are Neurosurgeons happy in San Francisco?

Animesh Vats Student Expert 5th Apr, 2020


Well I guess they are because they get very good six figure salary and have a great job security although it's stressing but still they like their job cause they got into it knowing the stress it may carry. Neurosurgery is very much in demand and is a very great speciality in medical field.

I hope my answer helps.

All the best.


Are Neurosurgeons happy in New York?

Manish Singh 2nd Apr, 2020

It will all depend upon the lifestyle and the office hours you put in the work. The number of opd days, OT days and the visit to the wards for rounds. It all affect the free time period for a doctor. In USA,you have to pay tax for the services thus it can be little less than what you make in india


Are US Neurosurgeons rich enough to live a comfortable life in the United States?

Nikki Nair 2nd Apr, 2020

Hello Aspirant

It will totally depend where are you working and what are you getting paid.

As US is anyways costly ,there lifestyle tends to change.Neurosurgeons in Us are paid according to their qualification as well as where they work

According to research

The average income for a neurosurgeon is $775,968

The middle range income is approx $704,170

the lowest paid are $350,000

And the top 10 % of the neurosurgeon get a pay of $1,229,881 per year!

So it totally depends upon your qualification and the place you work if you can have a comfortable life or not


Never miss exam and college updates Login
The question have been saved in answer later, you can access it from your profile anytime. Access now

Download the Careers360 App on your Android phone

Regular exam updates, QnA, Predictors, College Applications & E-books now on your Mobile

Careers360 App
150M+ Students
24,000+ Colleges
500+ Exams
1500+ E-books