Study abroad timeline- Every student who wants to go abroad for higher studies wants to know the study abroad timeline. In this article, we are providing complete information about studying abroad. The first leg of the study abroad journey starts 12 to 16 months before. Trips are made to university for transcripts, recommendation letters, to the bank for education loan to study abroad, to coaching institutes, while parents arrange for funds by either closing their FD premature, selling land or mortgaging property.
Since the colonial days, we have looked to the western world for enlightenment. But now when there are more than 670 universities in India, students still prefer to study abroad.
Over the years, foreign education has got split into higher education and permanent residency (PR) markets due to economy and migration laws. The USA and the UK are primary markets for higher education; Australia, New Zealand and Canada are the popular immigration markets. As there’s shortage of skilled manpower in these countries, it’s easier for Asians to join their workforce.
This has led to a PR racket where local agents, for huge sums, get Indian students enrolled in third-rate vocational institutes abroad.
But just keep in mind that not all foreign universities are good. Go through university ranking on US News, Times Higher Education or the Guardian. And always find out about the university’s credentials from its website or the study abroad education consultant. Sourcing information from reliable sources is crucial, as both money and life can be at stake.
Some universities/colleges offer admissions on the strength of your academic record, others ask for GRE, GMAT, TOEFL or IELTS test or proficiency in a foreign language. Universities’ websites furnish all eligibility criteria and required tests.
In case, you aren’t a study abroad scholarship holder, inquire about full or partial scholarship opportunities from the university that has offered you admission. Some have a quota of awards for international students abroad.
And while you are at it, ask the university for e-mail contacts of some Indian students. They can advise you on the living cost for students. There’s homestay, which is living with a family; university accommodation, which is safe and convenient but expensive and last, student flat, where three to four students rent a flat.
Study Abroad Timeline
1. Schedule an exam date for GRE and TOEFL respectively.
2. Start studying for GRE.
3. Start surveying universities, departments.
4. Make sure you have a passport before your GRE exam date.
1. Keep studying for the GRE. Increase frequency of practice tests.
2. Begin shortlisting of universities.
3. Start work on your Statement of Purpose and writing sample.
4. Ask teachers (or others) for recommendations.
3. February - March
1. Look out for European/Australian Schools which accept application.
2. Apply if they have fully paid positions
1. By March-end, at the latest, you should know where you have been admitted.
2. If you have multiple admissions do not go by fellowship value alone. Take a balanced view.
1. Keep up the GRE preparation and now, start revising.
2. Practice GRE writing essays.
3. Finalize universities based on your research. Email professors in departments you have finalized.
4. Revise, re-read and polish your SoP and writing sample (s).
6. Collect your sealed letters of recommendation if you plan to send them in paper form.
7. Take GRE and TOEFL tests.
1. Finalize your SoP.
2. Send GRE and TOEFL scores to the universities.
3. Start and complete your online application.
4. Make sure that your referees receive the link by email.
5. Make sure that your entire application is complete and has been received in its entirety .
7. September Fly out
Top foreign universities and institutions
ARTS AND HUMANITIES
University of Oxford
University of Toronto
Australian National University
Free University of Berlin
London School of Economics
University of British Columbia
National University of Singapore
Massachusetts Institute of Tech
University of Cambridge
University of Tokyo
LIFE SCIENCE & BIOMEDICINE
ENGINEERING & IT
Massachusetts Institute of Tech.
ABOUT THE LISTING
This listing is based on two sources namely, The Times Higher Education Ranking (THES) and the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) by Shanghai Jiao Tong University. Best institutions in each of the broad subject disciplines have been shortlisted after compiling the rankings of individual institutions from both the rating agencies.
Stay tuned to www.studyabroad.careers360.com for more news and updates on studyabroad admissions
Your brochure has been successfully mailed to your registered email id .
The Question containing Inaapropriate or Abusive Words
Question lacks the basic details making it difficult to answer
Topic Tagged to the Question are not relevant to Question
Question drives traffic to external sites for promotional or commercial purposes
The Question is not relevant to User
Regular exam updates, QnA, Predictors, College Applications & E-books now on your Mobile