How to choose the best university abroad?
There are many factors that affect one's decision to finalize a university abroad. Studying abroad involves a lot of aggressive research and efforts. So, make sure that you are leaving no stone unturned in finding the best university abroad.
While looking for a university, fit is critical. It is important that a student knows what he or she wants out of their educational experience and looks for schools that match those criteria. Factors to keep in mind while choosing a university abroad to study can be:
- Area of interest: Look for an institute that offers programs within your domain. You should have a clear picture in mind of the study field in which you want to pursue your studies based on your potential and career goals.
- Choice of programme: Various universities may provide same kind of course with some variations and different names. Research well which one offers what you want. You can make a final decision based on the fee structure at various universities for the same course and the placement records.
- World University Rankings: University rankings from reliable sources come out handy to help you in choosing the best. The rankings give you a detailed account of the top universities in the world both country-wise and subject-wise.
- Grants and Scholarships: Many foreign universities offer grants to help you finance your studies. Visit respective consulates for unbiased and accurate information on universities.
- Alumni: It’s recommended to choose a university where you can find your seniors who have spent at least some time there because of two reasons. Firstly, they will help you know about the programme better and secondly, you’ll accommodate well with known faces around. Sometimes because of seniors’ recommendations, chances to secure a seat in the institute double up.
- Job market: Try to look for a university where industries related to your domain are present nearby. Industries concentrated in particular States tend to hire heavily from the universities around them.
- Accreditation with local and international bodies: This is something that boosts your CV after getting graduated from a foreign university.
- Accommodation, facilities and location of the institute: Accommodation, infrastructure and location of the institute are as important as the course fee, structure and scholarships. Always give preference to an institute that provides good accommodation and has world class facilities.
|Kurt Ahlm, |
Associate Dean of Student Recruitment and Admissions,
The University of Chicago Booth School of Business
“Culture to me is a critical differentiator. All schools have different values and cultures, and it is important for a prospective student to examine that culture and determine which fits most closely with their expectations. Students thrive in environments where they feel comfortable and supported, so determining fit across numerous attributes including culture is critical to selecting the right university to study at.”